Pages

Welcome to my humble little kitchen...
I really do enjoy cooking. Just love reading recipes books am always on the look out for interesting recipe books. Pages and pages full of brightly coloured pictures of tempting dishes whether they be old favourites from my child hood or new and exciting ones yet to try!!!!
Learning spices and techniques does take time and I must admit often does not turn out but practice, practice and a little experimenting goes a long way in learning to perfect dishes and tastes..
Follow me on our journey to discover new flavours and old ones to and to enjoy and EAT the outcome!!!







Monday 24 September 2012

SUNUNDULU WITH JAGGERY

SUNUNDULU WITH JAGGERY
Both my daughter and I are big fans of sunundulu. I, however, always made my sunundulu with white sugar but recently we had a dinner and our friend's mother came bearing sunundulu. Upon trying this I realised that this was no ordinary sunudulu that I knew. After both my daughter, son and I consuming serveral sunundulu balls I decided I had to make these myself. Chasing down the recipe from our friend who had explained to me that in the area of India that they are from the sweets are made mostly with jaggery and not simple white sugar.
So here is our attempt to make jaggery sunundulu. Dedicated to our friends and family! Thank you


WHAT YOU NEED:
2 cups of urid dal
1 1/2 cups of jaggery
Up to a cup of ghee

WHAT TO DO:
1. In a large pan roast the urid dal over low heat. Keep stirring and dont be tempted to up the temp or leave the room because if this burns then you have to start again with some fresh urid dal.
2. You are looking for the urid to become lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool.
3. Once cool grind the urid into a powder. You can fine grind or if you prefer you can super fine grind. Purely up to your preference.
4. Grate the jaggery and add to ground urid dal and blend a little longer to allow the two to thoroughly combine.
5. Heat the ghhe till runny and slowly add this to the jaggery/urid mix stirring as you go. Only add enough ghee to combine it too much as too much ghee will make making the ladoo shapes a little difficult.
6. Once cool enough to handle shape the ladoos and allow to cool completely.
Optional: Add some crushed cardomon
Enjoy