Pages

Welcome to my humble little kitchen...
I really do enjoy cooking. Just love reading recipes books am always on the look out for interesting recipe books. Pages and pages full of brightly coloured pictures of tempting dishes whether they be old favourites from my child hood or new and exciting ones yet to try!!!!
Learning spices and techniques does take time and I must admit often does not turn out but practice, practice and a little experimenting goes a long way in learning to perfect dishes and tastes..
Follow me on our journey to discover new flavours and old ones to and to enjoy and EAT the outcome!!!







Wednesday 12 June 2013

N IS FOR NO FRY VADA

N IS FOR NO FRY VADA
I would not say I am extremely health conscious but when I can I do opt for lighter or healthier options... But deep frying in oil is something that I just dont like to do.. messy, oily etc etc I do however love the deep fried version of vada (when someone else prepares and cleans up... hehe). I have made dahi vada before using a dutch pancake pan (you know the pans with all the half circles in) on the stove top but I happened upon a donut pan and instantly thought... Vada in the oven.... can it be done???????


So you will need a donut baking tray for this recipe or I suppose you could use an electric donut maker appliance too. Easy enough to find in most bakeware or even some cheap shops...The donut bakeware has 12 donut spaces so this recipe yields 12 feel free to dble, triple or even half the recipe to suit demand.

WHAT YOU  NEED:
1 and 1/2 cups of urad dal (this needs to be washed and soaked for about 2 to 3 hours.
4 (more or less to suit taste) green chilllies
1heaped tsp of ginger/garlic paste
4 peppercorns
1 sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste
OPTIONAL: thinly sliced onions, coriander or additional thinly sliced chillies.

WHAT TO DO:
1. Once you have soaked the urad dal for 2 to 3 hours. Grind the urad dal, ginger/garlic paste,pepper, curry leaves with a little water. You need a smooth batter but not runny.
2. Set aside for ten minutes meanwhile heat oven to 170 celcuis and spray pan lighty with oil.
3.Spoon mixture into tray and bake till  lightly golden.
Serve immediately with sambhar, coconut pachadi or whatever you wish.....