Pages

Welcome to my humble little kitchen...
I really do enjoy cooking. Just love reading recipes books am always on the look out for interesting recipe books. Pages and pages full of brightly coloured pictures of tempting dishes whether they be old favourites from my child hood or new and exciting ones yet to try!!!!
Learning spices and techniques does take time and I must admit often does not turn out but practice, practice and a little experimenting goes a long way in learning to perfect dishes and tastes..
Follow me on our journey to discover new flavours and old ones to and to enjoy and EAT the outcome!!!







Wednesday 1 August 2012

VADA - NO FRY HEALTHY STYLE

VADA - NO FRY HEALTHY STYLE
Vada is a delicious savoury snack that can be served anytime with a variety of different sides. However deep frying is not something I really like to do so in my attempt to make it healthier and less standing over hot oil with a one year old attached to me I came up with no fry vada.... OVEN STYLE. But how to keep the traditional shape I hear you say. Doughnut baking tray is the answer!!!! Specially designed to make doughnuts in the oven I thought why not make vada in it after all they kind of just a savoury doughnut.

WHAT YOU NEED:
About 200g of skinless urid dal (soaked for at least 7 hours and ground into a paste)
salt to taste
pinch of asafoetida
1 small onion finely chopped.(optional)
sprig of curry leaves (optional)
green chillies finely diced (optional and too taste)
cumin seeds (optional and to taste)

WHAT TO DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 150 celcuis conventional and grease the doughnut bakeware.
2. Mix the paste of the urad dal and add salt and other optional ingrediants.
3. Spoon into greased tray and smooth over and wipe any excess away.
4. Bake in oven till crisp and brown on the outside. I flipped them half way through about at ten mins so that they browned evenly but this is not necessary.
Serve with sambhar, coconut chutney, ketchup or basically anything that takes your fancy.