Pages

Welcome to my humble little kitchen...
I really do enjoy cooking. Just love reading recipes books am always on the look out for interesting recipe books. Pages and pages full of brightly coloured pictures of tempting dishes whether they be old favourites from my child hood or new and exciting ones yet to try!!!!
Learning spices and techniques does take time and I must admit often does not turn out but practice, practice and a little experimenting goes a long way in learning to perfect dishes and tastes..
Follow me on our journey to discover new flavours and old ones to and to enjoy and EAT the outcome!!!







Friday 20 April 2012

PANIYARAM

PANIYARAM
This is the first time I experimented with this dish and what can I say my hubby actually thought it was mysore bhujji need I say more. Regardless of that it tasted nice and both my daughter and hubby approved so it made it here.


WHAT YOU NEED:
1 cup of rava (fine semolina)
1 tbs besan flour
1 generous tbs of natural yoghurt
ginger/garlic paste (optional and up to you how much I used 1 and 1/2 tsp)
green chilli (again up to your desires)
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp chana dal
1 small onion finely diced
1 medium tomato finely diced
1 tsp ajwain (optional)
1/4 tsp baking powder
enough water to make it to a thick batter
2 tsp oil
salt
If you cant be bothered with the first step then use idli batter instead.

WHAT TO DO:
1. Mix the rava semolina with the besan and the yoghurt and mix to combine. Set aside for 8 hours.
2. On the stove heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
3. Followed by chana dal, green chilli and onion and fry for a few mins.
4. Add the tomato and giner and garlic paste and fry for a couple of mins till reduced and tender.
5. Allow to cool slightly.
6. To the prepared batter add salt, baking soda and some water to make a thick paste.
7. Mix in the tomato and onions. Mix to combine. Salt to taste.
8. Heat paniyaram pan (I actually use a dutch pancake maker for this step)
9. Grease the pan and half fill each half circle and cook for aprox 3 mins and flip and cook till done.
Serve alone or with your choice of chutney or sambhar.